Monday, December 3, 2007

Washing Machine's Faults!

Ever since the day I took over the role from my maid to wash dd's cloth diapers in the morning before I let the washing machine (WM) do its'part, I'm late to work!!! Yes, I hand wash but I can be sure that the CD is clean enough even it's not going into the washing machine. If one day there's something wrong with the washing machine (basically malfunction), I'm able to cover the washing part on my own. LOL! I'm not saying not to use the WM, I will alwasy opt for WM to wash the modern cloth diapers!

I slowly learnt that more rinse with water actually reduce the urine smell and in fact we don't need that much of detergent. You don't even need to soak the cloth diaper for longer than 25 minutes! (for people who loves to soak... ok... who prefers to use wet pail) Of course you have to be very hardworking to do the pre-wash (Note: not new CD, we are talking about soiled CD), so this is very personal decision. I have to because:

1) I can't trust my maid to help me with the CD washing since I'll discover more smelly and leaking problem (not clean enough) - cannot rely on maid!

2) I can't depend on the front loaded washing machine as the clothes sometimes come out dripping with water when it's done??!! Isn't it supposed to be dry? At least that's my expectation. I think the gentler version front loaded is too gentle. It's not even rinse properly! - cannot rely on washing machine!!!

3) Looking at the CD stash, I don't have that many to fill in the washing machine in one load. Therefore, I got to wash separately before I can combine it with my dd's clothes to make it a load in the washing machine.

This washing machine (belongs to MIL) will tumble down if it has too little clothes to wash. Old machine old function eventhough it's still running the operation daily. Therefore cannot complain too much! *Sigh*

I'm so unlucky, isn't it? If I have more cloth diapers or more muslin (lampin) I think I'll collect them all in a wetbag and use the washing machine to do a rinse cycle before the full wash. But right now this is not the case. I only can do the rinse cycle in a big pail of water (haha! what to do this is fact!) since that's the average amount I have with my dd who's on lampin most of the time and MIL said lampin no need to use WM to wash. Good part is the rinse before full wash in washing machine actually reduce the smell and urine up to 80-90% without any detergent(guess I'm too hardworking, anyone wants to follow my method?). If you have full CD stash, like I said, do the rinse cycle in the washing machine and this ease alot of your work!

6 comments:

Wai Mun said...

Hi Sharine, I'm also hand wash my CD n cloth, coz no washing machine....my apt quite small have to renovate again only can place a WM.... :(

Peridot&Sapphire said...

Wow! You are even more hardworking... don't worry, even with hand wash it is still clean provided that you rinse well. Washing machine becomes a great helper if you CD full time (e.g collected 10-20 CD for 2days)... right now it's still not a big problem to handwash.

chanelwong said...

you very rajin.....

Wai Mun said...

Handwash is no problem to me coz bb only bring back weekend... weekday at sis-in-law...but i soak CD after changing....wash it at same night...which the way more convenient to me la...

Peridot&Sapphire said...

chanel: no choice... have to in order to get cleaner and better are for the precious CD...

wai mun: huh? Baby not staying with you on weekdays? Anyway, as long as the method is conveninet to you... you can wash whichever or whenever you like.

Ju-Lian said...

Hi thanks for maintaining this wonderful blog for CDing moms in Malaysia! Just wondering if you could help me with what washing detergent/powder to use with CDs and prefolds for a front-loading machine.

Thanks!

Blog Interviewer

http://bloginterviewer.com/environment/a-note-to-cloth-diapering-journey-sharine-cheah
All pictures in this blog is copyrighted.
Do not use without my permission.