Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Care for Diaper Covers

Let's face it... I believe every cloth diaper user mums will invest on diaper covers. But actually how to extend the life span of a diaper cover? I've been wondering for some times and I accidentally found the suggestions and referenece online and wish to share it here.

These are the facts:
1. "How long a cover will last will depend on the type of material the cover is made of." - (think of PUL, wool, cotton,...)

2. "Also what type of soap or detergent you use, your washing method, if you use bleach or bleach alternatives, if you line-dry or use a dryer." - (in Malaysia, we hardly have a dryer, most are line dry...)

3. "How many covers you have to use in rotation, and how often you change them." - (well, I seldom rotate, normally between 2 only, change them at the end of the day)

Advise no.1:
If you are machine washing, don't wash your covers with the diapers, but with the baby's clothing, on a gentle setting. Use only warm water, and a gentle soap.

Advise no.2:
Dry your covers in the machine for only 10-20 minutes, and hang to dry the rest of the way, if they are still damp. Don't use bleach, as it can ruin the elastic, and damage the water-proofing of your covers.

Advise no.3:
Avoid rubbing detergent directly on the diaper cover. All these products can destroy the water-proofness of your covers.

Advise no.4:
Covers generally don't have to be washed as often as the diaper. It will depend on the material of the cover. If the cover is not soiled, you could just run tap water down the inside of the cover to rinse off any urine residue. Pat dry, or hang to dry and re-use.

Nylon/Vinyl - can be air-dried between changes.
* we have PUL in m'sia but nylon...??*

With cotton blend - need to be washed after every use.
*such as imse vimse organic cotton*

Wool - every 2 weeks or when necessary
*ask me, I'm using this :) *

Advise no.5:
If you can afford it, have at least 5-6 covers in each size to rotate. The less often you have to wash your covers, the longer they will last.

8 comments:

Tutiger said...

So nice of you to start this blog. I might just need to learn more about it coz I might wanna switch over too :)

wHOisBaBy said...

nice! i will link you from my shopwith blog.

bZbee said...

nice one u got here..helps alot of new and still learning moms...

Anonymous said...

I guess the main thing is to follow manufacturers instructions.

I machine wash all my covers with the nappies in my front loader machine (gentler than top loader, and saves water too).
I don't use the dryer as it is still warm enough in Australia to line dry.

Nylon/vinyl is probably the older style PVC 'plastic' pants, that my mum used with lampin in the 80s.

Anonymous said...

Bummis Original and Bummis Whisper Pant are some of the diaper covers which are made of nylon. Nylon cover is much softer and breathable than old type vinyl cover. I am not sure if these covers are available in Malaysia or not :)

Anonymous said...

I think Bummis are PUL, not nylon, right?

Anonymous said...

Bummis Super Whisper Wrap, Super Snap, Super Brite are all PUL. But Bummis Original and Whisper Pant are Nylon. Hi Lotus, do you live in Australia? I think there is a store in Australia, http://www.theweewuns.au.com/store/ , carry the Bummis Original and Whisper Pant :)

Peridot&Sapphire said...

tutiger: i love to share information... yes, read up more before you make a swith.

anna: no problem!

miranda: we are still learning from each other...

lotus: I use front loader too but don't know why my bummis cover still stink even came out from the washin machine.

lotus & dewi: yup, bummis original and whisper pants are nylon.

Blog Interviewer

http://bloginterviewer.com/environment/a-note-to-cloth-diapering-journey-sharine-cheah
All pictures in this blog is copyrighted.
Do not use without my permission.